Frequently Asked Question about North Sikkim

I am not an Indian citizen. Can I travel to the North Sikkim?

Yes, foreigners are allowed with some restrictions. Beyond Singhik all areas in North Sikkim require permit for tourist. The foreigners are required to obtain ILP for security reasons.

I am an Indian citizen. How can I travel to North Sikkim?

You need to arrange for a permit from the Tourism Department. We at Travel Monk can help you in organizing the North Sikkim trip and arranging the permits. Beyond Singhik all areas in North Sikkim require permit for tourist.

What are the procedures for arranging a permit and can I arrange the permit myself?

The permit to travel to the various destinations of the North Sikkim can only be arranged by registered Travel Agencies and Tour Operators.

What details do I need to submit to my tour operator for the North Sikkim permit?

Five “passport size” photographs and a photocopy of the Voter’s ID card/ Passport of each guest needs to be submitted well in advance.

What happens if natural calamities and national security circumstances happen?

As this Indo-China border region is guarded by the Indian Army, all permits to civilian tourists are issued by the army. They are the sole authority to allow tourists through this region. Under situations of natural calamity or security issues they may disallow all tourists to this region. In such circumstances, we would refund a major part of your advance money or try to arrange an alternative trip to other parts of Eastern Himalayas.

What is your cancellation policy?

After confirming the bookings and paying us the advance, you can always postpone your trip to any future date but you need to inform us at least 15 days before your journey date and we would re-schedule your trip to any future date within 6 months subject to room availability without charging you extra. However, if you reach Gangtok and then cancel your trip, then you would be refunded only a part of your advance amount. We would mention all the details in your booking slip.

What type of accommodation do I get in the various destinations in North Sikkim?

Overnight hotel accommodations are presently available in Lachen, Lachung. There are home stays run by villagers in Kabi Lungchok, Dzongu, Tingchim. The homestays come with attached Western Bathrooms, 24-hrs electricity and separate dining halls.

What type of transport would be provided to us?

Standard SUVs like Bolero, Sumo or Maxx is provided within the package rates. Luxury category SUVs like Scorpio can also be arranged but would require extra costs.

Are public transports available to the various destinations in North Sikkim?

No, tourists with us can only travel in reserved cars in this route. Our representative at Gangtok would also have to arrange for the car permit and driver permit.

What type of food is available in the homestays?

Hot, home cooked delicious Indian food. The menu usually consist rice, roti, puri, bhaji, dal, egg curry, chicken curry, vegetables, etc. For snacks, you would have choices between momos, pakoras, chowmein, etc. Tea is complimentary and endless. Fish is rare in this region.

What food do I get for my baby?

The usual food like rice, dal, sabji, egg, etc. is available in the home stays and it can be cooked by your hosts as per your instruction. However, it is advisable to carry the essential baby foods that your baby needs.

I do not know the destinations within this route, so who would show me the places?

Our driver knows all the destinations and sightseeing of this route. He has been trained to show the spots and take you for sightseeing trips. Moreover, all sightseeing spots will be mentioned in our booking slip.

What does your package include?

The North Sikkim Package includes all transport to all destinations and sightseeing mentioned in the Itinerary. All lodging and food expenses are also covered in the package.

Do I need to pay the whole Package amount to you in advance?

No, you have to pay 30% of the whole package during booking at our Kolkata office and pay the remaining 70% of the package amount at Gangtok before the trip starts.

What essentials do I need to carry?

Any regular medicine you take, documents to prove your Indian identity, some basic medications like pain sprays, water bottles, some dry food items, chocolates and most importantly your camera.

What type of clothing should I carry?

You need to carry warm clothes like jackets, mufflers, gloves, inners and all types of warm clothes you feel necessary. However, daytime is usually warm and temperatures may rise up to 25 deg C on clear days. As night falls, it becomes quite chilling.

I have elderly parents, can I take them?

You would cross altitudes of 13000 to 17000 feet and elderly citizens (above 70 years) may not find it comfortable, so it is suggested to not opt for this route if you have ailing and elderly members in your group.

Can I take my baby with me to this route?

Children above two years would be fine and at their best in this region. However, children with breathing problems or other chronic diseases are not allowed in this route.

What is the temperature like in this region?

From December to April, this region experiences snow and the temperature usually stay below zero. However, sunshine is abundant and day times are cool and sunny on clear days. From June to September, this entire region experiences rain and is covered in wild flowers. The months of October, November and December are ideal for mountain peak viewing. The weather stays clear and the days are sparkling but nights are usually chilling during these three months